Need Help?

Call us at 1-800-850-9378 or check out the FAQ below.


Frequently Asked Questions

  • Research
  • Manage Your Account
  • Training
  • Registration
  • TWEN
I need some help with my research, who can I talk to?

You can call a Reference Attorney for research assistance, 1-800-850-9378, or chat with one using the chat feature within Westlaw Edge.

I received a message that a document is outside of my plan, how do I access it?

While law schools have broad access to loads of excellent content on Westlaw and Practical Law, you’ll encounter some content that is outside of your plan and is inaccessible.  If you have further questions, call us at 1-800-850-9378.

Do you have any helpful guides or tutorials on research?

Sure, check out our Knowledge Center and Law School Survival Guide.

What is OnePass?

OnePass is a username and password used to access various Thomson Reuters products like Westlaw, Practical Law, TWEN, ProView, Firm Central,, and more.

How do I change my OnePass username and password?
  1. Go to and sign in
  2. Click on Profile at the top of your screen
  3. Under Profile Settings, click on username and password
How do I update the name, email address, etc., associated with my OnePass?
  1. Go to and sign in
  2. Click on Profile at the top of your screen
  3. Select Personal Information and click on the edit icon
What if I forget my OnePass username or password?

Visit and choose either the “Forgot username?” or “Forgot password?” link.

Can I call someone for OnePass assistance?

Of course! Call us at 1-800-850-9378 and we’ll be happy to help! 

Do you have on-demand training for Westlaw, Practical Law and other Thomson Reuters tools?

You bet! Check out the tutorials available on the Knowledge Center.

Is on-campus training available?

Check the Campus Events & Webinars section on to see what sessions are coming up at your school.  

I’m having trouble with an online training in the Knowledge Center, who can I contact?

Email for assistance.

Where can I get my registration key for Westlaw, TWEN, etc.?

Your school will typically handle registration key distribution. You might receive it during orientation, in your orientation packet or via email. If you’re unsure or you’ve lost your registration key, reach out to your law school’s library for more information.

I’m being prompted for a registration key when I sign into a product. What should I do?

You might be experiencing a registration error, you haven’t completed registration for yet, or you’re trying to access a product that is not part of your subscription. Give us a call at 1-800-850-9378 and we’ll help you out.

I’m transferring to/visiting a new law school, should I pick up a new registration key?

Yes, especially if your new school uses TWEN for course management. Reach out to your new institution’s law library for information on obtaining a new registration key.

Do you have any user guides for TWEN?

Yes, you can find TWEN user guides here.

How can I change my email address associated with TWEN?
  1. Go to and sign in.
  2. Click on Profile at the top of your screen
  3. Select Personal Information, click edit
  4. Update your email address.
  5. Go to and sign in.Note: It may take up to 24 hours for the email change to take effect.
Who can I contact for TWEN assistance or to provide TWEN feedback?

Call our TWEN support line at 1-800-486-4876.