Learn the fundamental Westlaw tools and techniques for effective research:
- Plain-language searching, filters, and Precision Search
- Discover various types of secondary sources and how to find them
- Westlaw's annotations to find cases, statutes, and other authorities
- Streamline your research with shortcuts, like Copy with Reference
- KeyCite to validate your findings and expand research.
Amplify your research skills with Westlaw tools that will help you work more efficiently and competently:
- Learn how to search using the Key Number System
- Use KeyCite tools like the red-striped flag, Cited With technology, and advanced Citing References
- Leverage statutory research tools like Notes of Decisions, Context & Analysis, and Graphical History
- Find sources and get up to speed quickly with the Secondary Resource Index and Practical Law
- Take advantage of Outline Builder and Quick Check to link your research to your writing assignments.
There is always something new to discover and master when it comes to Westlaw:
- Learn how to quickly run precise searches using terms & connectors and field searches
- Delve into Westlaw's legislative history tools to find and use regulations.
- Uncover new developments in the law and quickly understand the procedural posture of a case.
- Utilize Folder Analysis to discover missed issues and Graphical History to retrace your steps
- Access court documents for useful insights on drafting, and explore legal forms for examples.
Legal Research & Writing Certification
An introduction to legal research & writing, the core skills for all future attorneys.
- Learn the basics of legal research & writing and how they are practiced by students and attorneys
- Explore the various types of legal analysis frameworks and writing styles
- Understand the core components of case briefs and the briefing process
- Recognize the need for properly formatted legal citations
- Discover how to effectively research and draft a legal memorandum
Foundations of Legal Research Certification
Understand the legal system and how to put a research plan into action.
- An overview of the legal system, precedent and types of authority
- Build effective research plans
- Identify gaps in legal knowledge and overcome them
- Construct legal arguments utilizing different types of legal authority
Prepare to Practice Certification
Preparing to practice goes beyond legal research.
- Understand the business of law, and the role research plays
- Utilize different methods of billing and tracking time
- Employ practice tools to avoid conflicts and missed deadlines
- Research both time-efficiently and cost-effectively