Foundations of Legal Research Certification
Understand the legal system and how to put a research plan into action.
- An overview of the legal system, precedent and types of authority
- Build effective research plans
- Identify gaps in legal knowledge and overcome them
- Construct legal arguments utilizing different types of legal authority
Essential Legal Research Certification
An introduction to Westlaw and the essential elements of legal research.
- Create searches based on key terms and refine your search results
- Utilize Secondary Sources
- Learn the anatomy of cases and statutes
- Employ annotations in cases and statutes to expand your research
- Validate your cited authority using KeyCite
Advanced Legal Research Certification
Increase the depth, breadth and quality of your research.
- Construct Terms & Connectors searches
- Employ annotations in cases and statutes to expand research
- Leverage the statutory indices and tables of contents
- Research regulations and when to use them
- Perform Legislative History research
Prepare to Practice Certification
Preparing to practice goes beyond legal research.
- Understand the business of law, and the role research plays
- Utilize different methods of billing and tracking time
- Employ practice tools to avoid conflicts and missed deadlines
- Research both time-efficiently and cost-effectively